THE MYSTERY WOMAN


Those days I stayed as a paying guest at Judges Bungalow. Though the house was a bit over populated with nine girls in one apartment, the feeling of being independent and totally on my own thrilled me. It was for the first time that I was out of a cocoon, my own home in Baroda. Never having experienced a hostel life, this place and experience in a metro city – both were fantastic. My flat-mates were either college students or freshers in the job set out on a new journey with hopeful eyes.

One evening when I returned ‘home’ after a hectic day of meeting celebrities and filing interviews, I came across a new flat-mate – apparently the 10th in the apartment and also seemed a bit out of place. She must be in her late forties or early fifties, but anybody can be mistaken by her lean and fit body. However, the streaks of white hair and wrinkles near her eyes gave up on her age. I hurriedly went into my room and animatedly asked my room-partner about her. “Guess what? Gupta Aunty just gotta new paying guest,’ she replied.

Ah! Gupta Aunty… world famous in Ahmedabad when it comes to PG accommodations. She can be better described as a short and stout possessive flat owner, a cleanliness freak and a morning alarm that never failed to ring even on Sundays.

After inquiring I learnt that the new arrival, Parul had come to India from California. She was here for some work and was to stay for not more than 10 to 15 days. Gupta Aunty had shifted her in the living room as all the rooms were occupied. Though having an elaborate luggage, she was allotted one bed and a small cupboard. Parul happily created her own space, not only in the living room but also in our hearts.

Due to her disturbed sleeping cycle and jetlag she often woke up early, prepared breakfast and lunch, which she shared with all of us. She was like a motherly figure to otherwise ‘orphaned’ paying guests in the apartment.

After a couple of ice-breaking sessions, Parul learnt that I reported stories on fashion and lifestyle in an English daily. She was curious to know about some of the good spas and salons in town. “Hey you must be knowing about some good spas in town,” she asked me enthusiastically. Being an emerging metro and an NRI hub, Ahmedabad has no dearth of such places and so I told her about Chandan Sparsh, Wellocity, Orchid and few more. This marked the beginning of our relationship.

Earlier, after coming from office, I lazily lay on my bed, buried myself into books or magazines or fidget with my i-pod; but things changed after Parul’s arrival. My mornings were often greeted with cheerful ‘good mornings’ while my evenings were greeted with a warm hello… “What kept you so long in the office?” We indulged in endless discussions on topics like how different the life is abroad and how she misses the culture and festive fervour of India, my education and how glamorous is journalism as a profession. As I knew, she was here to extract some facts and information about Spas. She was planning to open one in California once she returned back.

We often went on walks, shopped at European Catalogue and dined as Barbeque Nation on Saturdays, my weekly off. Once when we were returning after a shopping spree, she learnt that I was engaged and soon to be married.

“Wow! That’s great. So you must be excited,” she exclaimed.

My low tone and simple yes did not appeal her much.

“Love or arranged?” she shot back

“Arranged”

“Have you known each other for long enough to get married? Do you like him?” she asked me with as much concern of a friend.

It was then she told me about her daughter who had refused to become a part of institution called marriage. “My daughter has often seen me sad and lonely despite me having a family. Perhaps that’s the reason she has decided to live life on her own terms, the way it suits her. And I am happy she listened to her heart.”

Turning towards me she said, “But for you it’s important to have initial bonding with your husband to be. This would help you to overcome all the hurdles of a new relationship.” It has been nearly two years that I met her, but her words are still fresh in my memory.

Soon she headed back to California with a dream of opening a new venture of spa salon. Though all of us bonded very well with her, her departure from the apartment was sans ‘rona-dhona’. As we exchanged our email ids and contacts numbers, she promised to stay in touch.

What came as a shock to me was that all the mails sent to her bounced back, probably the email ids were not valid. I often wondered – did I make a mistake in jotting down the email id? But no, as my flatmates too had the same id. I have no complaints against her except that I missed her virtual presence.

Parul has remained as the Mystery Woman in my life, not because she mysteriously disappeared from our lives; but because our – mine and her relationship has always remained a mystery, rather undefined. We were neither strangers nor friends. She came, she saw, she advised and she disappeared. Was she a philosopher or a guide? It’s still a mystery…

PS: Parul, if you are reading this, thanks for being there!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Playing The Past

I Write